Att: The president of Malawi His Excellency Dr Lazarus McCarthy Chakwera,Vice President of Malawi Right Honourable Dr Saulos Klaus Chilima .
May you ask the Director of Procurement and the top management at the OPC on our behalf. Why did they award huge medical contracts to only four companies worth billions of Kwachas whilst more than 100 local companies participated in the bidding process?
1) Lilongwe Chirani Limited has been awarded to procure;
(a) Personal Protective Equipments Contract worth K813,118,165.81 for 28-04-2020 delivery.
(b) Personal Protective Equipments Contract worth K1,785,002,524.00 for 14-05-2020 delivery.
2) FirstMask Group of Companies has been awarded to procure;
(a) Personal Protective Equipments worthy K429,375,000.00 for 15-04-2020 delivery.
(b) Personal Protective Equipments worthy K584,905,078.00 for 28-04-2020 delivery.
(c) Personal Protective Equipment worthy K285,916,872.00 for 14-05-2020 delivery.
3) Galaxy Pharmaceuticals and Surgical limited has been awarded to procure;
(a) Personal Protective Equipments worthy K708,677,500.00 for 28-04-2020 delivery.
(b) Personal Protective Equipment worthy K440,750,000.00 for 14-05-2020 delivery.
4) Victoria Pharmaceuticals Limited has been awarded to procure;
(a) Personal Protective Equipments worthy K815,040,565.00 for 28-04-2020 delivery.
(b) Personal Protective Equipments worthy K763,750,000.00.
– Was it not possible to distribute evenly these contracts to other bidders?
-Why should one company be awarded a lion’s share?
-Does this mean other bidders had no capacity even though they participated in the process?
– Isn’t this trade monopoly?
– How will the other companies survive or maintain their employees demands without thinking of downsizing?
– Is this what you meant when you directed that, all public contracts should go through the office of president for vetting then through the office of the attorney general,was this the reason?
– Is this how you will be empowering small medium enterprises?
– Is this how you will be empowering indigenous businesses?
This is entirely unfair, unpatriotic and trade monopoly!
This shows that only the rich will continue to get richer.The poor will continue to get poorer.
This is a bad precedent!
Yamikani Nicholas Kachingwe.