On Wednesday, 29th July, 2020, the Minister of Trade, Sosten Gwengwe, accompanied by senior Ministry officials, held a press briefing to announce the rolling out of the new Control of Goods Act (COGA), 2018 and the accompanying Control of Goods (Public Interest Thresholds) and Control of Goods (Import and Export Licence) Regulations which came into operation on 10th and 24th July, 2020 respectively.
The COGA among other things regulates the importation and exportation of goods into and from Malawi by restricting, banning or allowing export/import under license.
Speaking during the briefing, Gwengwe, said “The COGA among other things regulates the importation and exportation of goods into and from Malawi by restricting, banning or allowing export/import under license..
Under the new Control of Goods (Import and Export) Regulations, 2020, the following goods will require an import or export licence before importation or exportation:
Goods for which an Import permit is required:
1. Wild Animals, Wild Animal Trophies and Wild Animal Products
a) Bovine and
3. Live Poultry, Day Old Chicks, Undressed and Dressed Poultry
4. Fish whether frozen, dried or live and eggs and spawn thereof
5. Table Eggs
6. Fresh Milk
7. Fruit and Vegetables (Fresh & Preserved) lettuce, cabbage, cauliflower, rape, turnips, fresh beans, fresh peas, green pepper, fresh chillies, garlic, onions, carrots, beetroot, radishes, tomatoes, egg plants, irish/sweet potatoes, bananas, mangoes, pineapples
8. Grain of any variety such as rice, barley, beans and groundnuts in all forms including meals, flours and residues
9. Maize a) dried maize, on or off the cob; b) crushed maize; c) samp; d) maize grits; e) maize cones; f) hominy chop; g) Maize offals; or h) processed maize meal with or without additives
10. Refined and Crude Cooking Oil
11. Cane Sugar
12. Bottled Water
13. Canned, Glass & Plastic Bottled Non-Alcoholic drinks exceeding three cases
14. Liquor in Sachets
15. Canned and Bottled Alcoholic drinks exceeding three cases.
16. Coarse and Table Salt
a) Laundry bar soap and
b) Powdered detergent (loosely packaged detergent powdered soap weighing more than 15kg)
20. Plastic Products – below 60 micron
21. Second Hand Clothes exceeding one bale. Underwear (pants,bras) – strictly not to be imported
22. Second hand items:
a) Kitchen utensils
23. Ball Point Pens
Goods for which an Export permit is required:
1. Implements of war (other than arms and ammunition), atomic energy materials of strategic value, and items of primary strategic significance used in the production of arms and ammunition and other implements of war, including the following- Beryllium; c)tantalum d) uranium e) lithium f) columbite Cobalt; g) thorium h) germanium; j) titanium; k) nickel; and any materials containing such metals.
2. Petroleum products
3. The following gemstones in the unmanufactured state –Corundum b) Garnet c) Quartz d) Tourmaline d) Turquoise f) Beryl g) Zircon h) Jade i) Olivine j) Feldspar k)Topaz l)Opal m)Chrysoberyl n) Spinel o) Lazurite
4. Scrap Metal
5. Hides and Skins in processed and non-processed form
6. Rice, including: a) rice meals; b) rice bran; c) rice residues.
7. Maize including a) dried maize, on or off the cob; b) crushed maize; c)Samp d) maize grits; e) maize cones; f) hominy chop; g) Maize offals; or h) processed maize meal with or without additives
8. Raw round Hardwood timbers.
10. Soya Beans
11. Cotton Lint and Seed
12. Oil Seeds and residues from Oil Seeds.